Thursday, June 9, 2011

How to Make Perfect Patio Bird Bath

I'm not a famously patient person when it comes to getting things done.  When I decide that I want something, I either buy it (not very often) or make it (my preferred approach if I have the ability, tools, and parts).  So last week, when I decided I needed a birdbath, I did some quick research to see what was out there for patio birdbaths.  There were some I liked, but I could only laugh at the cost. So I set about to make my own.

And it turned out to be incredibly easy!  And cheap!  So in case you're so inclined, here was my process.

Disclaimer: I'm a jewelry maker, so I have tools and decorative chain on hand.  But if you don't, don't let that stop you.  Use whatever you have in tool boxes, junk drawers, and n the back of the closet!

What you need:


Two pairs of pliers. I have jeweler's tools, but any pair will do just fine.

About 4 feet of small but sturdy chain.  This will be what wraps the bowl.  I used some ugly cheap stuff I've had for years.  You can use any kind of chain you have, including an old dog chain.

A foot or two of sturdy chain.  This is the piece you are going to use to hang the bath.

An old bowl.  The shallower the better.  I also like the clear bowl so I can see when its empty or dinner without having to climb on a chair.

Preparing the Chain


Separate the chain into four separate chains. You do this by opening the last link of the chain. Grip the link with one set in your not-dominate hand. In the other hand, slightly bend the ring to the right. NEVER pull the two ends apart unless you plan on throwing the ring away. If you have never done this before, here are some excellent step-by-step directions.




Using the same method as above, unhook a link from the big chain.




Slide the ends of all four small chains on the link.




Close the big link and spread out the chains like an X.



Making the Base

Set the bowl on top.



Open the bottom link of the big chain and slide the other end of the four small chains through it.  Close the loop.



Straighten it all out and give it a few light yanks to make sure all the links are properly tightened.  Better to have it fall and crash on your patio than fall several stories on some poor soul's head.



Step back and admire your handiwork!


4 lovely people said:

RURAL said...

First, you are very creative! Way to go.

Secondly, I think that I have the same bowl. Great minds, and all that, not that mine is a bird bath.

So what type of jewelery do you make?

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Summer said...

Thanks Jen! I don't know that I'll keep that bowl up there - I may try to get something more shallow so bees and butterflies can have a place to frolic too;)

I make all kinds of jewelry, but mostly work with beads, weaving, and wire. You can see a lot of it at Flickr if you're interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/summeralyssa.

Thanks for stopping by!

Carolyn ♥ said...

Beautiful! (and you make it look so easy.) Those birds better behave themselves at such an elegant spa. Carolyn @ This Grandmother's Garden

Summer said...

Thanks Carolyn! Of course they don't behave themselves, lol... You know how everyone says you don't have to weed a container garden? Obviously they don't have bird feeders and birdbaths! ;)

Post a Comment