Monday, August 16, 2010

Pumpkins, Sunflowers, and Zinnias, Oh My!

I love summertime in Michigan.  It really does make up for the rest of the year.  Well, mostly I think so.  In the dead of winter ask me again, but for now, with cicadas humming and butterflies flittering and Lake Michigan calling my name, my geographical cup runneth over.

I’ve been so busy working and swimming and otherwise not being on the computer that I’ve neglected to check in every once and awhile.  But, the magic I started way back when the sun was still sleeping is really rewarding me now!

The squatty big leaved seedlings that looked like they could be fairy dresses?  They’re growing quite respectably sized pumpkins, squash, and gourds.



Those tiny green sticks that promised to be immortelles?  I’ve had dozens upon dozens of blooms.



And the tiny seeds I scattered out back, mixed in with the gourds and squashes and raspberries and sunflowers?  Blossoming in  gorgeous abundance.



And the sunflowers?  Oh, the sunflowers.  Every day I bask in their beauty before beheading them for use on my tables:)



There are tales of veggies and herbs on the way.  I’ve started a new drying system this year I’ll tell you about later.  Photo tutorial tomorrow, I think.  If you want to get ready to try what I’m trying, get yourself a cheap spool of wire (I used 20 gauge aluminum craft wire) and a couple ceiling hooks or plant hangers.  Yeah, you can see where I’m going with this.  Plot and scheme and imagine, and I’ll see you tomorrow.


0 lovely people said:

Post a Comment